Sunday, July 6, 2008

Southern Cross

So I was looking out at the stars last night and could not remember if I had written about the Southern Cross! Used by the earley explorers to guide them south, pointing towrd the south pole since there is no star marking the pole as the North star does in the Northern Hemisphere.

My first sighting was in The Seychelles, one clear late night while hanging out in the pool with some friends..we searched and found the Southern Cross...very cool to see...and then we all started singing... "when you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand now why you came this way- 'Cause the truth you might be running from is so small, but it's as big as the promise, the promise of a comin day" top of our lungs at 2am, nice.. Anyway, it was pretty cool to see and think that I was seeing something that isn't in my sky in the Northern Hemisphere.

Next sighting in New Zealand with the aurora australis, visible on the South island..pretty cool...the Southern Cross or Crux (the real name of the constellation) is on the New Zealand flag..the four stars...quite cool.

Now, the cross was visible most nights while I was down under, however there were only a few occasions...mentioned here..when I took the time to find it, usually with the help of some locals, as there are false crosses in the southern sky, quite close to the crux. Again, with the help of Mark Slade in his back yard in Rotorua, NZ we found the beauty again!

Another side note, not sure I mentioned in my tales from NZ and Oz the ever popular captain Cook! Well if I didn't, I don't know how I left him out, as he is part of every story told about the beginnings and how things came to be in those young countries- 1769 is when he first stepped ashore in NZ and met the Maori's. Story after story of the places he named and why. Australia, same thing...huge statue of him in Cairns, like 8 stories high, and tons more stories of the Captain and his adventures and discoveries...and again in Indonesia...there he was, so strange but true, a bronze Captain Cook amidst all the Hindu statues and temples...quite fascinating stories, I actually would like to read a book on the life of Captain Cook, although I have a really good idea of how it went!

Ok-back to the Southern Cross...Surf Camp, west coast of Oz, our party on the beach, stereo in a rubbish bin with wheels, nice red neck sort of work, rigged up with speaker and all...weather proof, also portable fire, so as not to disturb the pristine beaches and habitat..ok so yeah, there it was, there was some question tonight...no one was really sure, but I think I was right!

On to Byron Bay, Australia sat out on the rock point listening to some drummers and watching the surfers catching the last waves as the sun sets...so lovely..and up come the stars...thank you sweet Steve for pointing! Gorgeous night!

And...of course..Sailing the Whitsundays!! Out on the deck of the Avatar, sleeping on the trampoline, watching the clouds scream by, the clouds in Australia move soooo fast, all the time, they are crazy and explosive, anyway, they pushed aside and all the gorgeous stars appeared as we sat in the bay close to Whitehaven beach, waves lapping below me! Skipper Adam did the pointing tonight, I feel a little crazy and excited each time I see it, it's so fun being in the Southern hemisphere....tee heee

On to Indonesia, Lovely Bali, quiet and peaceful and stars galore, lovely sea and black sand, rest my soul......and it's gone-

I miss it...I miss finding it, I miss the excitement and trippy feeling it gave me...I miss the southern hemisphere.....

No comments: