Thursday, February 21, 2008

Arahi's Moko


A Day with Colin
I have been anticipating this day for the last 3 since I met Andy and heard of Colin. It is fate that I will meet him and that I was on Andy's bus. Our first stop on our trip to the Bay of Islands Andy, our driver, talked of the Kauri wood carvings of the benches and tables done by his brother Colin who is also a tattoo artist. Since getting to NZ I have been asking around for a Maori artist and have been given a few names and even talked to a few, but it didn't work out and now I Know why.

I was picked up by Colin's wife Jeanne, pronounced John, french, she has facial moko too. I already had an idea as to how Colin or Arahi, his Maori name,would look, I looked him up on inkednation.com under NZ artists. Andy told me to look him up so I wasn't intimidated when I met him, he is a big and strong warrior and chief of the Maori people. Their house is in the bush next to a gorgeous beach an hour west of Auckland. I feel welcome and invited as soon as I arrive, a bit in awe, as Colin really is something in person!!

So I sit down and we decide on a location for the piece and then he starts asking questions...about me my family, etc...all the while he is sketching. I won't go into details but it was an unbelievable experience and I was sobbing before I knew what happened to me...he pulled out all this stuff and soon we were talking as if we had known each other for years, there was something spiritual and moving and completely familiar. We stopped for a break and some lunch out on the deck overlooking the bush and waterfall and I learned Colin is a Maori Chief and head of his family, and a priest..also a long time friend of Bill W, putting him in a place to understand my life in a way most can't. We talked alot about my trip, my life, his life, his family, and the future.

Back to work..he sat with the sketch and blessed it's place, Maori tattoo's are very sacred and always have much meaning, and lots of people are refused. It hurt alot more than the other tattoo's I have, not sure why..but even the conversation was not distracting me now, maybe I just needed to feel the pain..sounds like something Colin would say...anyway, it was worth every moment. When Colin finished and explained what each part of it meant and who it represented and what it represented it was AMAZING!! This is a day and a man that will stay with me and in my heart forever, I have been thinking of and trying to live by his words since meeting him...awe...

Strange too... I got back to Auckland and Jeanne dropped me off, I went to go around the corner and grab a drink and smashed right into Andy, full on...wierd...but he asked all bout his bro and got to see the work, cool for him.

No comments: